The Delivery Driver, under the direction of the Inventory Manager, will primarily be responsible to operate and drive vehicles to transport goods, materials, or passengers over varying distances. This position will process and convey information and instructions to coordinate appropriate actions in response to requests for assistance or service. This role will also perform pre-trip, en route, and post-trip inspections on vehicle and load, ensuring safety and roadworthiness.
- Adaptability – Adapts and responds to changing conditions, priorities, technologies, and requirements.
- Commitment to Health and Safety – Works in compliance with all applicable health and safety legislation and established policies and procedures.
- Communication – Expresses and transmits information with consistency and clarity.
- Economical – Ensures work is completed in a way that is conscientious of company resources.
- Organization – Able to create or maintain processes to ensure all relevant information or tools are easily accessible.
- Ownership – Takes pride in the work that is accomplished, and understands the function of tasks within the larger picture of the organization. Ensures deadlines are met and work is completed properly.
- Results Orientation – Able to focus on desired outcomes, and the means by which they are achieved by meeting and or exceeding standards based on past performance, goals, and objectives, as well as the performance and/or achievements of others.
- Time Management – Prioritizes duties as needed; completes tasks in an efficient and timely fashion.
- Operate and drive vehicles to transport goods, materials, or passengers over varying distances
- Comply with applicable legislation, including safe operation, carriage of goods, drivers’ hours of service, occupational health and safety, and weights and dimensions
- Test vehicle before and after shift to ensure that lights, brakes, windshield wipers, and tire pressure are in proper working condition
- Adhere to established safe working procedures and wear the proper safety equipment at all times
- Report vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicles
- Operate all company equipment needed to communicate with company dispatchers such as cell phone, or computer in order to receive information, updates, and additional locations
- Process and convey information and instructions to coordinate appropriate actions in response to requests for assistance or service
- Plan logistics of the trip, and obtain appropriate paperwork to transport goods and materials
- Perform pre-trip, en route, and post-trip inspections on vehicle and load, ensuring safety and roadworthiness
- Assist in loading and unloading all goods and materials that are scheduled for delivery, safely following all lifting and delivery procedures
- Maintain contact with supervisor in accordance with travel plan
- Complete all necessary paperwork at the end of the shift, including daily logs, inspection logs, delivery receipts, vehicle inspection, and hours of service, following applicable provincial and federal regulations
- Check all load-related documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate
- Provide feedback to management regarding customer problems, mechanical problems, or delivery problems
- Ensure cargo handling and secure loads in accordance with established safety requirements
- Advise supervisor and other vehicle operators of any route or traffic issues
- Clean and make minor repairs to vehicle to maintain appropriate service levels
- Certifications or licences appropriate to the transportation industry
- Degree or diploma in a related field
- Three years of related experience in the transportation industry
- Valid driver’s licence with a clean driving abstract
- Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian driving rules and regulations
- Highly developed understanding of transportation industry regulations, standards, and best practices
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to prioritize and manage conflicting demands
- Demonstrated time management skills
- High level of integrity and work ethic
- Flexible hours including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Occasional overtime
- Regular travel
- Operation and use of necessary tools, machinery, or equipment
- Regular exposure to conditions including heat, humidity, and dust
- Use of required personal protective equipment