The Yard Labourer, under the direction of the Inventory Manager, will primarily be responsible to load, unload, and identify building materials, machinery, and tools and distribute them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans and supervisors specification. This position will assist in the collection, preparation, and delivery of shipping materials. This role will also perform various forms of labour to assist in the successful completion of construction projects.
- Attention to Detail – Attends to details and pursues quality in the accomplishment of tasks, regardless of the volume of duties encountered.
- Commitment to Health and Safety – Works in compliance with all applicable health and safety legislation and established policies and procedures.
- Cooperation – Works with others to prevent conflict and share resources to encourage symbiotic relationships within the organization.
- Economical – Ensures work is completed in a way that is conscientious of company resources.
- Judgement – Ability to use sound reasoning when faced with various issues. Has the ability to make quick, effective decisions.
- Organization – Able to create or maintain processes to ensure all relevant information or tools are easily accessible.
- Ownership – Takes pride in the work that is accomplished, and understands the function of tasks within the larger picture of the organization. Ensures deadlines are met and work is completed properly.
- Teamwork – Works cooperatively and effectively with others to reach a common goal. Participates actively in group activities fostering a team environment.
- Time Management – Balances a myriad of tasks; prioritizes duties as needed.
- Assist in the collection, preparation, and delivery of shipping materials
- Load, unload, and identify building materials, machinery, and tools, and distribute them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans and supervisors specifications
- Perform various forms of labour to assist in the successful completion of construction projects
- Clean and perform preparation of worksite
- Grind, scrape, sand, or polish surfaces using abrasive tools or machines
- Cut, drill, sand, or plane materials for snug fit
- Lubricate, clean, maintain, and repair machinery, equipment, and tools
- Inspect and verify shipped goods for both incoming and outgoing items prior to signing off; following company policy and procedure
- Assist in the management of inventory of shipping materials and supplies
- Locate filed materials upon request, ensuring that materials are provided only to authorized users
- Oversee cargo handling and secure loads in accordance with established safety requirements
- Prepare and schedule shipments as assigned by supervisor
- Ensure the collection and organization of invoices, packing slips, and deliver orders
- Compile, verify, record, and process any and all documentation required, such as invoices, packing slips, delivery orders, etc.
- Resolve any cases of missing documentation, shipments, or deliveries
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions, following signals from crew as needed; check that vehicle position is correct and any special loading equipment is properly positioned
- Adhere to established safe working procedures and wear the proper safety equipment at all times
- Receive and process warehouse stock products
- Manually load and unload materials from pallets, skids, platforms, cars, and lifting devices
- Unpack, code, and direct goods and materials to appropriate storage locations
- Report any discrepancies in inventory to management
- Operate lifting devices such as forklifts and hoists
- Ensure that any debris caused by the loading or unloading of truck is cleaned up
- Provide feedback to management regarding customer problems, mechanical problems, or delivery problems
- Complete all necessary paperwork at the end of the shift, including daily logs, inspection logs, delivery receipts, vehicle inspection, and hours of service, following applicable provincial and federal regulations
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Degree or diploma in a related field
- Three years of related warehousing experience
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to prioritize and manage conflicting demands
- Ability to work individually as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated knowledge of driving rules and regulations
- Demonstrated time management skills
- High flexibility with strong interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse environment
- High level of integrity and work ethic
- Flexible hours including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Occasional overtime
- Operation and use of necessary tools, machinery, or equipment
- Extended periods of standing, and other physically demanding conditions
- Lifting, moving, or manipulating objects up to 50 kilograms