Fiberon composite decking is a popular choice among homeowners seeking a low-maintenance, durable, and eco-friendly alternative to traditional wood decking. Made from a combination of recycled wood fibers and plastic, Fiberon composite decking offers a range of benefits that make it an attractive option for outdoor living spaces.
Key Features of Fiberon Composite Decking
- Durability: Fiberon composite decking is designed to be resistant to warping, rotting, and splintering, which are common issues with traditional wood decking. The material is also resistant to insect damage and does not require any chemical treatments to maintain its integrity.
- Low Maintenance: One of the main advantages of Fiberon composite decking is its low maintenance requirements. Unlike wood, which needs regular staining, painting, or sealing to maintain its appearance, composite decking only requires an occasional cleaning with soap and water to keep it looking its best.
- Variety of Styles and Colors: Fiberon offers a wide range of color and style options to suit various design preferences. From natural woodgrain patterns to more contemporary designs, homeowners can find a decking option that complements their outdoor space.
- Eco-friendly: Fiberon composite decking is made from a mix of recycled wood fibers and plastic, which helps to reduce the amount of waste in landfills. Additionally, the production process for composite decking is more environmentally friendly than traditional wood decking, as it requires less energy and emits fewer greenhouse gases.
- Warranty: Fiberon provides a substantial warranty on their composite decking products, with most options covered by a 25-year limited residential warranty. This offers homeowners peace of mind and added protection for their investment.
Installation and Care
Fiberon composite decking can be installed using various methods, including hidden fasteners and traditional deck screws. It is essential to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations to ensure proper installation and to maintain the warranty.
Here are some general tips for installing and caring for your Fiberon composite decking:
- Proper Spacing: Ensure there is adequate spacing between the deck boards and joists. This allows for ventilation, drainage, and expansion and contraction of the materials.
- Board Orientation: When installing the deck boards, be mindful of the direction in which you lay them. Fiberon composite decking has a wood grain pattern that should run consistently in the same direction for a uniform appearance.
- Hidden Fasteners: Using hidden fasteners can provide a clean, seamless look for your deck. Fiberon offers specific fastener systems designed for their composite decking products.
- Board Ends: To achieve a polished look, consider using coordinating fascia boards or end caps to cover the exposed edges of the composite decking boards.
- Regular Cleaning: While Fiberon composite decking requires minimal maintenance, it is essential to clean the deck periodically. Use mild soap and water or a specialized composite deck cleaner to remove dirt, grime, and any mold or mildew that may accumulate. Avoid using harsh chemicals or pressure washers, as they can damage the deck surface.
- Snow and Ice Removal: During winter months, it is crucial to remove snow and ice from your deck to prevent slipping hazards and potential damage. Use a plastic shovel to remove snow and apply a calcium chloride-based ice melt product to deal with ice buildup. Avoid using metal shovels or ice melt products containing rock salt, as these can damage the deck surface.
In summary, Fiberon composite decking offers homeowners a durable, low-maintenance, and eco-friendly alternative to traditional wood decking